Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday Thingers



The question this week is, how many books do you have catalogued in your Librarything account? How do you decide what to include- everything you have, everything you've read- and are there things you leave off?

I currently have 178 books cataloged which is nowhere near what I own. I started adding all of the books I own and tagging them appropriately, although my tagging method to start is pathetic. I got about a quarter of the way through my books and just stopped. I couldn't keep up with chatting and entering my books! Joy over at Jlshall has inspired me to order a cuecat which I hope to do this evening. I also have to pay for my account as I will soon be at 200 books.

I include everything. I was originally using LT to keep track of what I read in a given year but have found so many books that I want to read I decided to just add those as well. I hope to tag those separately soon. I admit I have gotten rather lazy with my cataloging which is fine with me because the books aren't going anywhere!

I now can access my LT account on my phone which is very helpful when I am browsing the bookstores. That way I do not buy duplicate books which I have done from time to time.

Have a great week everyone!

12 comments:

LisaMM said...

On your PHONE??? You are WAY more technically advanced than I am. I just learned how to send a text message over the weekend, LOL. Oh well, I have never to my knowledge bought a duplicate book, so maybe I don't need to know how to do this!

Irish said...

I have a spreadsheet that I still keep as well. This one tracks the number of pages i've read and the number of books...it lets me know if I am on track of my goal or not and what my projected amount of books I'll read over the year will be. I can then track and trend from on year to the next. (Yeah, I'm a dork. lol)

I also learned how to do the 3 column thing today by a link posted on the ER blogring thread. it was very helpful and easy to follow. My page is longer then I'm used to but I think that it looks a little neater to have the 3 columns.

http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/

jlshall said...

I would LOVE to be able to access my LT list on my phone, but I'm extremely techno-challenged! Think I'd probably need a phone upgrade first, as well.

I started out just thinking I'd list my 200 free books and be done with it, but this is so addictive.

J. Kaye Oldner said...

I love that little cat scanner! I didn't start with LT, so I had all my books on another site and was able to move them over pretty easily. If not, I would have purchased it. :)

kbookreviews said...

The cuecat is totally worth it, along with a lifetime membership :)

BooksPlease said...

I didn't know you can access LT on the phone! That would be so useful. I've bought duplicates occasionally too.

My tagging is pathetic too.

Meghan said...

I love tagging. It was harder to do when I had to enter in all my books, but since then I've just gone through and made my once-pathetic tags a lot more relevant and consistent for me.

I'd love to access LT on my phone, that seems like a brilliant idea!

Jacquie Reaville (The Book Imp) said...

Funny but like LisaMM I've never bought a book that I already own. Maybe my obsession is worse than I thought LOL.

Book Junkie said...

Thanks for reminding me you can access LT on the phone. It's pretty handy when I remember to use it.

My Journey Through Reading... said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I actually have a blackberry (work provided) so I have internet access on it but most cell phones now have internet access as well. It is very convenient especially when I need directions! The biggest complaint I have is typing on those little keys but I have gotten used to it and am now pretty fast.

It's amazing to me how many of my customers actually text me. I am a sales rep for a food manufacturer. It can be fun but also annoying!

About six months ago I bought the book Evening right around the time the movie was coming out thinking it sounded good. I came home and started reading it thinking this sounds so familiar. I mentioned this to my mom and she said I had already read it, that's why it was so familiar. Sure enough, I went to my library and had the copy right there on my shelf with a different cover which I have convinced myself is the reason for the duplication.

Irish, I am a dork also. I like to see how many pages I have read and my stats as well.

I do not use Excel to track my entire library. Only my yearly reading progress.

Literary Feline said...

I haven't tried accessing LT on my phone yet, but I've thought about it. You're right, it's a great way to avoid duplicates if you can have immediate access to your library.

Melsy626 said...

I've tagged you for an author meme. Would love if you participate, but it's ok if you'd rather not!!! ;)

You can get the details of it here:

http://melsysplace.blogspot.com/2008/05/author-meme.html